Friday, August 21, 2009

Lego Blacktron Frigate

This past weekend I spent some time on a project that I've been wanting to try my hand at for a long time. Sadly, I don't have enough pieces to pull it off properly, but I made my best effort. So, here it is. Presenting, the Blacktron Frigate:
This isn't the best overview shot ever, but my camera was having issues (low batteries, I think), so I had to struggle to get it to take any pictures at all.
As you can see, it is designed around a hexagonal hull, with turrets on the angled hull segments. It also has a pair of point defense turrets at the base of the bridge section. The bridge and the engineering sections both are modular and can be removed. I also designed the hull of the ship to open:
It doesn't open as far as I'd like, or as cleanly, but at least it allows relatively easy access to the interior. You can't see it, but the airlock follows Moonbase standards and has a cap on it to seal it for flight.
This is a shot of the detached engineering section:
This is a shot of the engineering section from the side, with the hull opened to reveal the Hazardous Environment Robot manning the controls.
I didn't have the pieces to do this quite the way I wanted, but I think it still worked out pretty well. I'd have preferred more interior details for the engineering section, though.
This is the bridge:

The sides can swing out and the whole thing can detach from the main hull. It is crewed by a pair of minifigures, with room for a third to serve as captain/commander of the ship.
So let me know what you think. Is this any good? I'm rather proud of it, but I know it could use a lot of work.
In the mean time, I'll be focused on making some ground vehicles for my Blacktron Marines to have as armored backup.

No comments: